Why Raise Awareness for Dementia?
The more awareness you raise, the more attention there is to how you can help someone with these conditions. Diagnosis can be challenging and without the awareness there would be less dementia friendly societies. Given the drastic increase in numbers of people diagnosed, raising awareness has become an urgent need.
According to the World Health Organization, currently more than 55 million people live with dementia worldwide, and there are nearly 10 million new cases every year.
- Raising awareness of dementia and Alzheimer’s can help people recognize the early signs and seek medical attention. Those who are diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease and related dementias or Mild Cognitive Impairment may be eligible for ongoing clinical trials which help us all to learn more about the disease and find cures. There is no cure for Alzheimer’s Disease and with the quickly rising numbers of people impacted, a cure is very important.
- Awareness also helps to educate families and carers to understand the different stages and medication procedures to expect.
- Dementia is usually diagnosed by health specialists such as: psychiatrists, geriatricians, and neurologists. Assessments are made and patients will be made aware of the next steps if necessary. There are several research strategies and projects that are implemented within dementia and Alzheimer’s related organizations, and usually referred by these specialists and their staff.
How to Raise Awareness for Dementia
- Share posts related to dementia on social media. A simple share from one of our pages makes a HUGE difference in how Facebook, for instance, will get our posts out to others who could benefit. Without sharing, our educational posts may not be seen.
- Share your own stories. The best way to educate people about dementia is to make us feel something. Sharing stories with impact make us feel and when we feel we remember and often take action along the way.
- Join in on fundraising of those groups, like Doggies for Dementia who work to raise awareness.
- Volunteer to support nonprofit organizations as well as long term communities and those who support families impacted by dementia. There are many ways to volunteer in person or virtually.
- Share this blog! If you want to volunteer, but aren’t sure how, sharing this blog is a GREAT way to support us.
About Doggies for Dementia
About Doggies for Dementia: Doggies for Dementia is a 501c3 corporation with a mission to provide beautiful experiences and memories for those impacted by dementia using photography. We are also advocates with sights on raising awareness through education, so nobody has to experience the pain of stigma, isolation and loneliness. Experts Dig in with Doggies for Dementia is our program with interesting and informative interviews with experts from all realms including family members and professional caregivers. Grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair and join us!
Where are the links to this GREAT Information? Right Here!